The Rhinos got a big three points on Saturday night with their 2-1 win over Vancouver.
After the game, Bob Lilley talked about how things are getting better. But in what has become a common theme, he did have something that he wanted his team to improve upon. This time it was killing the game with the Rhinos not allowing Vancouver a shot for the first 85 minutes and then needing to hold on for dear life after Ricardo Sanchez hit a wicked free kick in the 90th minute.
But one of the things that I like about this year's squad is that they tend to get results whenever Lilley and his staff focus on something.
One of the things I mentioned to Coach Lilley is that they didn't give a goal shortly after the intermission. His response, "Yeah, you liked that" was delivered with a grin.
With NSC Minnesota coming to town on Friday night, hopefully the Rhinos can keep the momentum going and get on a roll with the US Open Cup just around the corner.
News & Notes:
- The USMNT won't be chasing Aaron Lennon around the park on June 12th as Fabio Capello left him off the 23 man England roster.
- Here are the highlights of the US-Turkey game. Suddenly a whole lot fewer people are wondering why Bob Bradley selected Robbie Findley.
- No Short Corners' Video Monday has all sorts of good USMNT stuff from the weekend.
- If you were wondering what jersey numbers the US players were getting, here you go.
- The Unprofessional Foul blog has a preview of the USMNT.
- What are the odds that the Rhinos will get Laurie Calloway's Des Moines Menace early in the US Open Cup?
- Shannon Boxx has landed with FC Gold Pride. I wonder where Hope Solo, Lori Chalupny, Tina Ellertson, Eniola Aluko and others will land?
- Clue #2 about the Portland MLS logo is out and this one focuses on the axe.
- If you want a 1 in 600 shot at winning a 2010 Mercedes C300 and you have an extra $100 laying around, check out the raffle the Ravens are holding to help their travel fund.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.